As of the 2010 census, the city was the seventh-most populated in Illinois (and the third largest outside of the Chicago metropolitan area), with a population of 115,007.
In particular, the Illinois River Bluff Trail connects four Peoria Park District parks: Camp Wokanda, Robinson Park, Green Valley Camp, and Detweiller Park, and the Rock Island Greenway (13 miles) connects to the State of Illinois Rock Island trail traveling north to Toulon, IL and also connects southeast to East Peoria, IL and to the Morton Community Bikeway.
Other parks include the Forest Park Nature Center, which features seven miles of hiking trails through prairie openings and forested woodlands, Glen Oak Park, and Bradley Park, which features Frisbee golf as well as a dog park.
The city did not have a mayor, though they had a village president, Rudolphus Rouse, who served from 1835 to 1836.
The first Chief of Police, John B Lishk, was appointed in 1837. This was the end of a village president and the start of the mayoral system, with the first mayor being William Hale. Peoria is bounded on the east by the Illinois River except for the enclave of Peoria Heights, which also borders the river.
The Peoria Play House Children's Museum opened in June 2015 in the Glen Oak Pavilion.
The Steamboat Classic, held every summer, is the world's largest four-mile (6 km) running race and draws international runners.
In addition to three major hospitals, the USDA's National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, formerly called the USDA Northern Regional Research Lab, is located in Peoria.
This is the lab where mass production of penicillin was developed.
Local municipal plans indicate that the city intends to continue its expansion northwest, into an area unofficially considered part of Dunlap, Illinois.